[Linux-bruxelles] Libre Office vs Microsoft Office

Jurgen Gaeremyn jurgen at gaeremyn.be
Dim 28 Déc 10:58:33 CET 2014

Hi,

sorry for replying in English, my French is not good enough to express
my thoughts.

I'm also an avid supporter of free and open source software. From this
perspective, I try to encourage using free software at every reasonable
occasion that I encounter.

On the other hand, I don't think it is fair to decide what software a
person should use, just because (s)he's poor. Comparison:

A few decades ago, missionaries went out all over the world because they
firmly believed people would be better if they found the ways of Jesus
Christ (not discussing religion here, so not expressing any opinion).
Because they though it so important, some decided to offer an "all in"
package to the poor heathens... They would get housing, schools, clean
water and health care, and would get baptized for free at once. People
who didn't want to get baptized, were frowned upon.

I'm in favour of leaving people choices... If you give computers for
free, this can also - f.e. like this:

People can choose: a license to MS Office, or a second hand printer
(about the same price) included in the package. You can nicely explain
that it costs the same.

Please also do inform users (even if they're poor - being poor doesn't
mean they're stupid):
Just my first few thoughts - some of them are for power users:

- (dis)Advantages of MS Office:
	- de facto standard
	- familiar interface
	- costs money
	- nicer clip-art, templates, etc...
	- limited permissions (not to be used for commmercial
	  usage, ...)
	- vendor lock-in
	- nice GUI voor VBA scripting
	- future versions might not work under Wine (2010 does
	  pretty okay, 2013 is troublesome already)
	- Requires a beefier computer (especially when also
	  running Windows) - OR: runs slower

- Advantages of LibreOffice/OpenOffice:
	- freedom in the true sense
	- free as in price (advantage: a printer)
	- can be used if you want to do business
	- works fine under Linux (free too, in both senses -
	  and lighter specs)
	- older interface (might be an advantage to older users)
	- might have issues with layout or styling
	- will have issues with macro's or scripting
	- you can write macros in Python or other languages too
	- free future updates
	- runs fast

Other options that you might (or not) mention (should also be elaborated
on (dis)advantages): Google Docs, Feng Office, Office 365, ...)

Bottom line for me: you can educate the people, but they should have the
right to decide for themselves. Even if they get it for free, they
deserve the dignity to make choices themselves. Just imagine hearing
this quote: "Wow, you're running LibreOffice. You got if from
ADT,right?" Wouldn't that be embarassing?

Making them use LibreOffice, is associating it with "poor man's
computer" and will stigmatize it. If you want to empower a change, you
should do so at the higher levels: companies, schools, public
administrations. Don't (ab)use vulnerable people to push you cause
(whatever that cause is).

Grtz,
Jurgen.