[Linux-bruxelles] [Mini HowTo] Mounting NEXIIe mp3 player

Yannick Warnier yannick at bxlug.be
Ven 7 Fév 12:24:05 CET 2003

Bonjour,
Voici un petit howto monter un lecteur mp3 NEXIIe (139 euros + 57 euros
pour carte mémoire 128 MB)(www.digimania.be)

C'est très simple. Je le fais en anglais pour l'internationalité :-)

Mounting NEXIIe mp3 player
==========================

1. Connecting the device

Login as root.

Put some batteries in the NEXIIe.
Power the NEXIIe on.
Plug it in with the usb cable.

2. Analysing reports

With

# dmesg

you can see the message warning you a new usb device has been plugged
in. You can also see it uses scsi emulation, so you will have to find
the logical link to the device in /dev/scsi/...

3. Formatting card

If this is the first time using this smartcard or whatever storage media
you use, you need to format it.
If this is not, jump to section 4.
For compatibility with M$ drivers and maybe for the device to work the
right way (I didn't try another), you need to make it a fat partition.
If you have mkfs, you should use it like this:

# mkfs.vfat /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1

or use whatever path leads to the device (it should be indicated in some
way by dmesg mentioned above). If this command doesn't work, try reading
the man page for mkfs (# man mkfs) so as to do it with the right options
(should be something like # mkfs -t vfat)

4. Mounting the device

Now you have a formatted media card, you should create some directory
where to map the media card.
For example:

# mkdir /mnt/nex

Then mount the device:

# mount [-t vfat] /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /mnt/nex

5. Enjoying the device

Now you just have to copy to, move to, remove mp3 files from the
directory /mnt/nex to put them on the device.

6. Unmounting

I have no problem disconnecting the device without unmounting, but it
should be a good idea to just

# umount /mnt/nex

before unplugging.

--