[Linux-bruxelles] Venezuela's Government Shifts to Open SourceSoftware

Carlos Betancourt carlos.betancourt at chello.be
Sam 31 Aou 21:51:06 CEST 2002

On Sat, 2002-08-31 at 18:16, Nicolas Forget wrote:
>  Pour respecter les "directives" sur la liste, parlons francais...

Could you please point me to such "directives"? I didn't know that it
was mandatory to "write" french on the ML. If such a directive actually
exists, well, I'll have to unsubscribe to the list...or learn to write
french ;)

Now, if you want to "speak" french ("parlons francais") well, I can do
that person-to-person. But actually writing french, I can't. Sorry.

>     il est clair que dans cette perspective, je suis bien d'accord, obliger
> le pays a licencier ses programmes en GPL, moi je suis d'accord avec...
> c'est alors un politique de gouvernement qui n'est pas limitative, on laisse
> le droit d'employer du proprietaire mais je ne comprend pas bien quand tu
> dis:
> > If MySQL, Postgres, or any other free database alternative is not suited
> > to the government's specific requirements, then what the heck, let's use
> > Oracle.
> et puis
> > About the second one: even M$ can 'sell' software to the government,
> > _as_long_as_it's_GPLed.
>
> une explication???

Yes, it's contradictory. I think that my counterargument of using Oracle
was not very clever ;)

Well, we can keep discussing the issue tomorrow at the LCP.
See ya!

Carlos