[Linux-bruxelles] Fwd: These municipalities support "Public Money, Public Code"

°ag agnez at bruxxel.org
Lun 27 Jan 22:39:17 CET 2020

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	These municipalities support "Public Money, Public Code"
Date: 	Mon, 27 Jan 2020 12:11:47 +0000
From: 	Alexander Sander <info at my.fsfe.org>

Dear,

Iyán Méndez Veiga from the Pica Pica Hacklab in Oviedo and his
colleagues did it. The Spanish province of Asturias has joined the
"Public Money, Public Code" initiative and wants to give preference to
Free Software projects in the future. The activists from the local
hackspace managed to convince the lawmakers. Unfortunately, such voices
are missing in many places when decisions on the future of public IT
infrastructure are made. Three cities and municipalities already support
the "Public Money, Public Code" initiative. We want it to be more.
Because the more municipalities support our demand, the stronger the
signal to the parliaments: pass laws that promote Free Software in
public administration.

More than a million people live in Asturia. The city of Barcelona and
the German municipality of Elbmarsch have also joined the call. They all
want Free Software to become the default in public administration.
Please help, so that more cities and communities join our demands. It's
easy. This is the plan: just write an email or a letter asking your city
or municipality to support the "Public Money, Public Code" campaign. To
make it as easy as possible, we have created a website with many tips
where you can also find a sample letter. With this you can help to make
Free Software finally becoming an issue in your region.

Join now: wiki.fsfe.org/Activities/ContactingAdministrationsForPMPC
<https://wiki.fsfe.org/Activities/ContactingAdministrationsForPMPC>

After the launch of Public Money Public Code, it quickly became clear
that the city of Barcelona wanted to support the initiative. Francesca
Bria accompanied this process as Chief Technology and Digital Innovation
Officer. She says: "We want to get away from lock-in effects and the
dependence on large private, mostly foreign IT companies. Instead, it
should be possible to switch providers and work with local companies
that respect the rights of users and their freedoms, and also allow us
to keep control over our data." These arguments finally convinced the
majority of the respresentatives.

Iyán Méndez Veiga from the Pica Pica Hacklab in Oviedo started with an
email. The activists from Asturia acted because they knew they had the
better arguments on their side. And they succeeded. This example
encourages others to take action. Last year in November, the city
parliament of Kassel discussed a proposal for supporting the Public
Money Public Code initiative. The city parliament will vote on the
proposal on 2 March. If we can get more cities behind our demand up to
that point, we can support this request. Your support would be of great
help here.

Join now: wiki.fsfe.org/Activities/ContactingAdministrationsForPMPC
<https://wiki.fsfe.org/Activities/ContactingAdministrationsForPMPC>

Best regards,

Alexander Sander
Programme Manager
Free Software Foundation Europe

PS: On 14 February, the "I love Free Software Day", we ask you, as every
year, to express a public thank you to all developers of Free Software.
We will be happy if you participate. You can order material (e.g.
postcards, stickers and balloons) from the FSFE shop free of charge -
more on ilovefs.org <https://ilovefs.org>.

--
Free Software Foundation Europe e.V.
Schönhauser Allee 6/7, 10119 Berlin, Germany.

You receive this email because you signed the "Public Money?
Public Code!" open letter and want to stay in the loop.

To unsubscribe from this and any future mailings concerning
"Public Money? Public Code!", follow this link: