[Linux-bruxelles] [Fwd: Adobe Reader 8]

Marc Arnoldy marc_arnoldy at yahoo.fr
Sam 22 Sep 13:06:38 CEST 2007

Got that one on info at Bxlug belgique.
Have you got a solution for him?

Thanks,			Marc A

-------- Message original --------
Sujet: Adobe Reader 8
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 11:30:33 +0200
De: Andreas Neudecker <a.neudecker at gmx.net>
Pour: info at bxlug.be

Hi.

I just found your page "Installing Adobe Reader on Debian". Actually, I
have it installed for quite a while (since Debian sarge, now etch). I am
using the packages from nerim.net as you mention. Now, today, an update
of my system included Acrobat Reader 8.1.1 from the same source. Now,
whenever starting it, I get a nag screen asking me to go so some new
"Beyond Adobe Reader". It actually has a button "Do not show at startup"
but that does not work. As clicking on the button to go to the page they
want you to go does not work either and the Adobe support forum has no
info either, I have tried to find a way to get rid of that stupid nag
screen -- in vain.

* removing the symbolic link /usr/lib/Adobe/Reader8/Reader/BeyondReader
* removing the directory /share/doc/acroread/BeyondReader
* /share/doc/acroread/BeyondReader/ENU/onramp.js.gz has the function

---8<----------
/**
* Update don't show value
*/
function updateDontShow(){
	var noshow = document.getElementById("form_noshow");

	if(noshow.checked)
		go('DOWNTOWN__DONTSHOW__1');
	else
		go('DOWNTOWN__DONTSHOW__0')
}
onramp.js.gz, lines 259ff

I don't find the string DOWNTOWN_DONTSHOW__1 anywhere else.

Do you have any idea how to get rid of this nag screen?

Kind regards

Andreas