[Linux-bruxelles] [Fwd: O'Reilly UG News - Issue 08-06]

Jerome Warnier jwarnier at beeznest.net
Ven 28 Juil 12:38:16 CEST 2006

-------- Message transféré --------
De: Josette Garcia <Josette at oreilly.co.uk>
À: Josette Garcia <Josette at oreilly.co.uk>
Sujet: O'Reilly UG News - Issue 08-06
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:24:47 +0100

O'Reilly UK User Group Programme
NEWSLETTER
Issue 08-06

Within a week, this newsletter will be available to be downloaded in pdf format from the Delphi and C# Developers Group web site at <http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0806.pdf>.  You are welcome to create a link to it for your members' use. Previous newsletters are available at -
<http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0706.pdf>
<http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0606.pdf>
<http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0506.pdf>
<http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0406.pdf>
<http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0306.pdf>
<http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0206.pdf>
<http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0106.pdf>

Our aim is to have both formats available at the same time, but that might take us a little longer.

HIGHLIGHTS

NEWS FROM O'REILLY AND BEYOND
-What Is a Wiki? (and How to Use One for Your Projects)
-The Long View of Identity
-Nat Torkington Previews OSCON 2006
-Rethinking Community Documentation
-The Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop Iceland Adventure
-Secrets of the Arpeggiator
-Parallels Desktop for the Mac
-Wireless Security on the Road Without a VPN
-How To Recover from Registry Corruption
-Inside Vista's New Diagnostic Tools
-What's New in Eclipse 3.2 Java Development Tools?
-Making the Most of JDBC with WebRowSet
-MAKE Podcast: Weekend Projects--Make a Workbench
-Building Tricorders

BOOK NEWS
- Books for review
- Coming soon
CONFERENCE NEWS
YOUR BOOK REVIEWS
YOUR NEWS

NEWS FROM O'REILLY AND BEYOND

---------------------
General News
---------------------
***What Is a Wiki? (and How to Use One for Your Projects)
Wikis are becoming known as the tool of choice for large, multiple-participant projects because jumping in and revising the pages of a wiki is easy for anyone to do. This article covers how to effectively use a wiki to keep notes and share ideas among a group of people, and how to organize that wiki to avoid lost thoughts, and encourage serendipity. Matt Webb and Tom Stafford co-authored this article using a wiki, as they did to write their book, "Mind Hacks."
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2006/07/07/what-is-a-wiki.html>

***The Long View of Identity
Who are you online? Your digital identity is a complex bundle of information--not just what you say about yourself, but what other people say about you and how trustworthy they are. O'Reilly editor Andy Oram recently attended the Identity Mashup conference at Harvard Law's Berkman Center and reports on one of the most vital issues of privacy and usability on the Internet.
<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2006/06/29/the-long-view-of-identity.html>

---------------------
Open Source
---------------------
***Nat Torkington Previews OSCON 2006
This year's Open Source conference runs July 24-28 in Portland, Oregon. Nat Torkington talks about what you can expect at this year's show. He explains that each technology has a great set of talks, but the strength of OSCON is that so many different topics are covered in one conference. It allows you to stretch and learn things from and share ideas with people solving similar problems using different tools. (5 minute, 47 seconds)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2006/07/07/oscon-podcast-preview.html>

***Rethinking Community Documentation
Good documentation makes good software great. Poor documentation makes great software less useful. What is good documentation though, and how can communities produce it effectively? Andy Oram explores how free and open source software projects can share knowledge with users and how publishers and editors fit into the future of documentation.
<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2006/07/06/rethinking-community-documentation.html>

---------------------
Digital Media
---------------------
***The Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop Iceland Adventure
>From Derrick Story: The team of Adventure photographers arrive in Iceland on July 28. This is an Adventure both in the sense of location photography and RAW workflow. Each shooter will be using Adobe Lightroom on a laptop in the field to process and output the images. Here's a quick overview of who is going, where they will be, and the reports from Iceland that will be coming your way.
<http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/2006/07/the_adobe_lightroomphotoshop_i.html>

***Secrets of the Arpeggiator
Arpeggiators are some of the handiest gadgets in computer music. With an absolute minimum of dexterity, you can create driving rhythms and superhuman tapestries of notes. Jim Aikin explains how arpeggiators work, what features to look for, and how to use them to revitalize your music.
<http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2006/06/29/secrets-of-the-arpeggiator.html>

---------------------
Mac
---------------------
***Parallels Desktop for the Mac
The short version of this discussion about Parallels can be summed up in a single word: amazing. Nothing is perfect, of course, and there is room for improvement as Parallels moves this product beyond version 1.0. However, if you have an Intel-based Mac and need or want to run Microsoft Windows, some version of Linux, or some other supported operating system, read on. Todd Ogasawara reports.
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2006/06/27/parallels-desktop-for-mac.html>

***Wireless Security on the Road Without a VPN
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a secure way to connect to web sites and email while using wireless networks. Unfortunately, not everyone has access to a VPN, so what do you do? In this article you'll learn how to secure your online activities without a VPN.
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2006/06/20/wireless-security.html>

---------------------
Windows/.NET
---------------------
***How To Recover from Registry Corruption
What do you do if your system crashes and you've got a corrupt registry? Mitch Tulloch comes to your rescue with advice on how to recover and restore your registry.
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/windows/2006/06/27/recovering-from-registry-corruption.html>

***Inside Vista's New Diagnostic Tools
Vista comes with a great suite of diagnostic tools for helping your PC run better and avoid crashes. Here's the rundown on what they are and how to use them.
<http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2006/06/20/inside-vistas-new-diagnostic-tools.html>

---------------------
Java
---------------------
***What's New in Eclipse 3.2 Java Development Tools?
The popular Eclipse IDE's latest release, version 3.2, is the cornerstone of an ambitious release of ten Eclipse-branded projects on the same day. But what's in it for you? Ed Burnette takes a look at the new features in Eclipse's Java Development Tools and shows you how they'll make your development much easier.
<http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2006/06/28/whats-new-in-eclipse-3-2-java-development-tools.html>

***Making the Most of JDBC with WebRowSet
Database to XML and back again. If everyone's doing some or all of this, then shouldn't we write it once, get it right, and standardize? JDBC 3.0's WebRowSet offers a profound increase in power over the old ResultSet. Sharad Acharya shows you what's possible.
<http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2006/06/21/making-most-of-jdbc-with-webrowset.html>

---------------------
Podcasts
---------------------
***MAKE Podcast: Weekend Projects--Make a Workbench
Every week, Bre Pettis will be bringing you a project that you can make over the weekend. For this first podcast,  can learn how to make a workbench for your garage, studio, or get your priorities straight and put it in your livingroom!
<http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2006/07/make_podcast_weekend_projects.html>

***Building Tricorders
We're featuring four sessions from the first day of the Where 2.0 conference. Josh Peterson tells you to live your life as if you're on vacation; Mike Liebhold looks at a future in which the invisible annotations on the world around you becomes visible; Schuler Erle demos Gutenkarte, which reveals geographic information in the books you read; and Lauren Gelman cautions us about the privacy issues in exposing our data. (DTF 06-26-2006: 26 minutes, 15 seconds)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2006/06/26/distributing-the-future.html>

BOOK NEWS

Copies of our books are available for your members to review -- send me an email with the delivery address together with the book you would like to review. When the review is published, please send me a copy or the url. I would also appreciate if you could send a copy to www.amazon.co.uk <http://www.amazon.co.uk>

Latest books available for review -

Ajax Design Patterns <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/ajaxdp/>
This handy reference reveals how Ajax patterns can vastly improve your web development projects. It does so by investigating how others have successfully dealt with conflicting design principles, and then relaying that information directly to you. Includes sections on foundational technology patterns, programming patterns, functionality and usability patterns, and diagnosis/testing of Ajax applications.

Digital Photography: The Missing Manual <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/digphototmm>
Digital Photography: The Missing Manual helps you to take beautiful digital pictures and share the results with friends and family. Spiked with advice and humor, trademarks of the Missing Manual series, this book shows you how to master your digital camera and take memorable photos, then edit and share them. Ideal for those just getting started, this book is also perfect for those wanting to increase the digital photography skills they already have. (Note: This book is Windows-only. For Mac fans, iPhoto 6: The Missing Manual <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/iphototmm/> has a whole section on digital photography.)

>From Java to Ruby <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/0976694093>
f you're trying to adopt Ruby in your organization and need some help, this is the book for you. Based on a decision tree (a concept familiar to managers and executives) Java to Ruby stays above the low-level technical debate to examine the real benefits and risks to adoption. Java to Ruby is packed with interviews of Ruby customers and developers, so you can see what types of projects are likely to succeed, and which ones are likely to fail. Ruby and Rails may be the answer, but first, you need to be sure you're asking the right question. By addressing risk and fitness of purpose, Java to Ruby makes sure you're asking the right questions first. Because technology adoption is only the beginning, Java to Ruby walks you through the whole lifecycle of prototype, ramp up, and production and deployment.

Interface Oriented Design  <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/0976694050>
Interface Oriented Design explores how to develop robust, reliable software as a collection of interfaces that interact with each other.
You'll learn what polymorphism and encapsulation really mean, and how to use these ideas more effectively. See how to create better interfaces using agile development techniques, and learn the subtle differences between implementing an interface and inheriting an implementation. Take a fresh, modern view of Design By Contract and class responsibilities. Understand the basis of a service-oriented architecture, including stateful versus stateless interfaces, procedural versus document models, and synchronous versus asynchronous invocations.
Learn about the most useful patterns, including Proxy, Facade, Adapter, and Factory, as well categories of interfaces including service providers, information holders, and external world interfaces.

No Fluff, Just Stuff Anthology <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/0977616665>
The No Fluff, Just Stuff Symposium Series is a traveling conference series for software developers visiting 27 cities a year. No Fluff has put on over 75 symposia throughout the U.S. and Canada, with more than 12,000 attendees so far. Its success has been a result of focusing on high quality technical presentations, great speakers, and no marketing hype. Now this world-class material is available to you in print for the first time.

Pragmatic Unit Testing in C# with NUnit, Second Edition  <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/0977616673>
All over the world, software teams are using unit testing both to verify their code and as a way of helping them design better code. This book is unique in the way it covers two aspects: showing developers both how to test and helping them determine what to test.
New in the second edition:
Updated for NUnit 2.4 (.NET 2.0 and Visual Studio 2005)
More assert methods
New String and Collection assertion support
Better support for multiple-platform development
Higher-level setup and teardown fixtures
Whole new chapter on extending NUnit
and more!

Python in a Nutshell <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonian/index.html>
In the tradition of O'Reilly's "In a Nutshell" series, Python in a Nutshell offers Python programmers one place to look when they need help remembering or deciphering the syntax of this open source language and its many modules. This comprehensive reference guide makes it easy to look up all the most frequently needed information--not just about the Python language itself, but also the most frequently used parts of the standard library and the most important third-party extensions.

Ruby Cookbook <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/rubyckbk/index.html>
>From data structures and algorithms, to integration with cutting-edge technologies, the Ruby Cookbook has something for every programmer. When you need to solve a problem, don't reinvent the wheel: look it up in the Cookbook.

SUSE Linux <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/suselinux/index.html>
Whether you use SUSE Linux from Novell, or the free openSUSE distribution, this book has something for every level of user. The modular, lab-based approach not only shows you how--but also explains why--and gives you the answers you need to get up and running with SUSE Linux.

The Internet: The Missing Manual <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/internettmm/index.html>
The Internet is synonymous with change--that's one of its charms, and one of its headaches. You think you know the Internet, but are you really up to speed on internet telephony, movie and TV downloading, multiplayer games, online banking and dating, and photosharing? This utterly current book covers getting online, searching/finding information, downloading and sharing movies, music, and photos, and the latest ways to keep in touch.

Unicode Explained <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/unicode>
Possessing everything you need to grasp Unicode, this comprehensive reference takes you on a detailed guide through the complex character world. Learn how to identify and classify characters, utilize their properties, and process data in a robust manner. Other topics include collation and sorting, line breaking rules and Unicode encodings. Perfect for both beginning and seasoned programmers.

****Coming Soon
	*	Agile Retrospectives  <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/0977616649>
	*	CSS: The Missing Manual  <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/csstmm>
	*	Google Hacks, Third Edition  <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/googlehks3>
	*	JavaScript: The Definitive Guide, Fifth Edition  <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jscript5>
	*	LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell, Second Edition <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lpicertnut2>
	*	Mastering Regular Expressions, Third Edition  <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/regex3>
	*	Photoshop Workflow Setups <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/photoworkflow>
	*	PHP Cookbook, Second Edition  <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/phpckbk2>
	*	Pragmatic Unit Testing in C# with NUnit, Second Edition <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/0977616673>
	*	Programming Python, Third Edition  <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/python3>
	*	The Relational Database Dictionary  <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/relationaldb>
	*	Stephen Johnson on Digital Photography  <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/stephenjohnson>

Conference News

***EuroOSCON banner
EuroOSCON will take place in Brussels on September 18-21
Put Up an O'Reilly EuroOSCON Banner, Get a Free Book and much more!
We're looking for user groups to display our conference banner on their web sites. If you send me the link to your group's site with our O'Reilly 2006 O'Reilly European Open Source Convention banner, I will send you the O'Reilly book of your choice. Also your group will be entered in a draw where the winner will get 10 O'Reilly books of their choice, and the runner up a free subscription to Make Magazine. The draw will be made at the end of the conference.

EuroOSCON Banners:
<http://ug.oreilly.com/banners/eurooscon/>"

***EuroOSCON Registration is Open
The preliminary schedule for the 2nd annual EuroOSCON, O'Reilly's European Open Source Convention, 18-21 September in Brussels, is now available. Featured speakers include Jeff Waugh, Damian Conway, Greg Stein, Rasmus Lerdorf, Marten Mickos, Tim O'Reilly, and many others.
<http://conferences.oreilly.com/eurooscon/>

A 15% User Group discount is available, you may combine this discount with the Early Registration Pricing during the Early Registration period (until 7 August, 2006 ) to save even more! For further information, please email Josette at oreilly.co.uk for more information.

To register for the conference, go to:
<http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/46/register.html>

YOUR EVENTS

***YAPC::Europe 2006 in Birmingham <http://www.yapceurope.org/conferences.html>
The next YAPC::Europe will be staged in Birmingham from Wednesday 30th August to Friday 1st September 2006.
More information is available on their website: <http://www.birmingham2006.com/>

***Open Source Summer Camps II <http://www.mediaplaza.nl/mp.php/mediaplaza/agenda/agenda.php?id=107>
On July 18/19 and August 16/17 there will be free (as in beer) event about Open Source and Free (as in speech) Software in MediaPlaza in Utrecht, the Netherlands. The event is organized by the NLUUG (the organization of professional UNIX users in the Netherlands), the NLLGG (nationwide Dutch LUG) and OSOSS (government organization to spread the use of Open Source and open standards in the Netherlands). For more information you can visit <http://www.mediaplaza.nl/> or contact Armijn Hemel (NLUUG board member) at armijn at uulug.nl <mailto:armijn at uulug.nl>.

O'REILLY WILL BE THERE!

*** RailsConf 2006 <http://europe.railsconf.org/>
Ruby Central and Skills Matter are pleased to announce The First European RailsConf 2006.RailsConf will be held at the TUC Congress Centre in Central London on September 14 & 15.

***Flash on the Beach <http://www.flashonthebeach.com/>
Flash on the Beach conference is the first major Flash conference in the UK for over 6 years! Over 40 of the world's most talented Flash designers, developers and artists presenting on 3 tracks over 3 full days with mixer get togethers each morning and evening for essential networking opportunities. Flash on the Beach has brought together the most creative, technical, inspirational awe-inspiring, educational and entertaining industry leading speakers in the rich media industry.

YOUR BOOK REVIEWS

***UKUUG
All the UKUUG reviews are now online, there are too many to list them, but please have a look on <http://www.ukuug.org/books/reviews/>

*** ActionScript.it reviewed -
Learning PHP & MySQL - <http://www.actionscript.it/showContent.cfm?id=763>
Building Scalable Web Sites - <http://www.actionscript.it/showContent.cfm?id=762>

*** AUG Armenia reviewed -
Flash 8: Projects for Learning Animation and Interactivity - <http://users.freenet.am/~flasher/flashbook.html>
Flash 8 Cookbook - <http://users.freenet.am/~flasher/flashbook.html>
Flash 8: The Missing Manual - <http://users.freenet.am/~flasher/flashbook.html>

*** SNUG reviewed -
Pragmatic Project information - <http://snug.se/forums/129/ShowPost.aspx>

That's all for now
Josette

***************************
The information contained in this e-mail message and any attachments is
intended for the addressee only and may be confidential. If you are not
the addressee, you must not read, use, pass on or copy this message or any
attachments or disclose its contents to anyone. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify us by returning the e-mail and delete all
copies of this message including any attachments. E-mails cannot be
guaranteed to be secure or error free as information could be intercepted,
corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete or contain viruses.
The sender does not accept any liability for any errors or omissions in
the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
If verification is required please request a hard copy version. Thank you.

--
Jérôme Warnier
FLOSS Consultant