[Linux-bruxelles] Excellent ! L'anti-spyware de Microsoft détecte et efface immédiatement le pire des spywares: Internet Explorer !

Thierry Mattart tmattart at belgacom.net
Ven 4 Fév 11:50:11 CET 2005

----------  Message transmis  ----------

Subject: Excellent ! L'anti-spyware de Microsoft détecte et efface
immédiatement le pire des spywares: Internet Explorer !
Date: vendredi 4 Février 2005 09:32
From: Brent Frère <brf at plan-net.lu>
To: Thierry Mattart <tmattart at belgacom.net>, "jc microdesign"
<jcdh at microdesign.be>, Yannick <ydh at microdesign.be>

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/01/microsoft_antispyware.html

Wednesday, January 19 12:00 AM ET

  Microsoft's AntiSpyware Tool
  Removes Internet Explorer

By Brian Briggs <mailto:briggsb at bbspot.com>

Many Microsoft Windows users who downloaded the recently released
AntiSpyware program from Microsoft, or had it installed through an
automatic Windows update, woke up to a surprise. Unintentionally, the
heuristics of the software detected Internet Explorer as spyware, and
removed the program from their systems.

AntiSpywareMicrosoft has pulled the program from its website until the
problem can be corrected. Elias Weatherbee, a Microsoft representative,
said the program was "only in beta" and that "a fix was forthcoming."

"It shows how powerful our AntiSpyware program is," said Weatherbee.
"Not only is it able to remove spyware from the system, but also the
source of most spyware. Our competitors can't match that."

A representative from Lavasoft, which sells Ad-Aware another spyware
removal program, complained that Microsoft was using its monopoly and
knowledge of the operating system to "offer features that others can't
match."

"Tough shit," said Weatherbee.

Many computer users did not view this new "feature" positively. "I tried
to check the weather this morning and all my little blue 'e' icons were
missing. I couldn't get to the Internet at all. I guess I'll have to get
a new computer," said Windows XP user Graham Newton.

*Related News*

Microsoft Announces Ads for Blue Screen of Death
<http://www.bbspot.com/News/2002/10/bsod_ads.html>

Microsoft Granted Patent for Creating Insecure Software
<http://www.bbspot.com/News/2004/07/microsoft_patent.html>

Microsoft Bundles Worm with IIS
<http://www.bbspot.com/News/2001/07/worm.html>

Users of alternative browsers were happy to see Internet Explorer gone.
Thad Freeman of the Mozilla Users Group said, "I've been trying for
years to get rid of Internet Explorer. I never imagined that Microsoft
would do it for me. I'm ecstatic."

Microsoft technical support was advising customers to reinstall Windows
to regain Internet access and to disable automatic updates.

Symantec Antivirus Research reported that virus sightings were down by
95% this morning.

--
Brent Frère

Plan-Net s.à r.l.
8, rue des Martyrs
L-3739 Rumelange
Grand-Duché de Luxembourg

Tél: +352-26.56.02.22
Fax: +352-26.56.02.55
http://www.plan-net.lu

This e-mail signature can be checked if you have the CaCERT certificate
 installed. Check http://www.CaCERT.org for details.

--
Thierry Mattart
+32-475/72.56.06