[Linux-bruxelles] suggestion activité: nuit ACPI

Carlos Betancourt carlos.betancourt at chello.be
Dim 11 Jan 21:38:23 CET 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 17:45, Stan Pinte wrote:
> hello le bxlug,
>
> je propose une activité: une nuit (ou un week-end, ou un raid, etc mais
> avec une notion de "au finish") d'install ACPI, software-suspend si
> harware suspend pas possible, spécial laptop.
>
> qu'en pensez-vous?

Talking about laptop, I've recently found out about a "laptop-mode"
patch I had not noticed before in the kernel. It looks very interesting
for laptop users, specially those concerned with ACPI

The patch is included in 2.4.23 and it is documented on
Documentation/laptop-mode.txt
In order to activate it you should use the script:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0305.3/0096/laptop-mode.sh

Some Kernel messages about it:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0309.2/0268.html
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0305.3/0096.html

I just found out about it today, so I have not tested it. But reading
the documentation and the fact that it has been included in the kernel
makes me think it's quite good.

This week's LWN edition has an article about it:
(Unfortunately it is subscriber-only content. But next Thursday it will
be publicly available)
http://lwn.net/Articles/65437/

Hope you find it helpful for your ACPI interests.

Carlos