[Linux-bruxelles] question cd-rw et cdrdao

Eric Hanuise ehanuise at fantasybel.net
Mer 16 Avr 14:48:51 CEST 2003

> > The (S)VCD
> > has a particular format, it's not an ISO9660 filesystem, and the .bin
> > image file created by vcdtools have this format within. The .cue file is
> > a control file, and cdrdao uses it as input to create a proper (S)VCD.
>To fit the converted avi on 1 CD, i converted it with ripmake but on a
>low rate; current file is +500 mb, while it was 733 mb; audio is intact,
>I will not be able to tell what's the viceo quality, but some sighted
>peerson will tell it me as soon as i can burn this on cdrw.

That 'proper' rate for SVCD is 2250 kbps. (constant bit rate, cbr) which
fits about 35min mpeg2 on 650Mb
There are also VBR settings (variable bit rate) at 1600 and 1900 kbps that
are recognised by most readers (dvds, ...)
(45 and 55 mins at 1900 and 1600 kbps on 650Mb CD)
any other bit rate means the SVCD might not be readeable on all devices.
(your mileage may vary)