[Linux-bruxelles] question cd-rw et cdrdao

Carlos Betancourt carlos.betancourt at chello.be
Mer 16 Avr 12:38:33 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 12:14, Osvaldo La Rosa wrote:
> Avant de graver sur un cdrw, je fais toujours un cdrecord blank=fast
> Mais je voulais simplement savoir 2 choses:
> - pour graver un avi converti en mp2 (vcd) on me conseille d'utiliser
> cdrdao; on sait pas le faire avec cdrecord?

If, _if_, you want to have a SVCD (mpeg 2) or a VCD (mpeg 1) disc
playable on your DVD standalone device, you should use crdao. The (S)VCD
has a particular format, it's not an ISO9660 filesystem, and the .bin
image file created by vcdtools have this format within. The .cue file is
a control file, and cdrdao uses it as input to create a proper (S)VCD.

cdrecord has certainly a 'dao' (Disk At Once) mode, but it won't burn a
proper (S)VCD disc, AFAIK.

> - et je veux savoir si on peut comme ça utiliser cdrdao avec un cdrw?

Certainly, yes. cdrdao even has a command for 'blank'ing CD-RW - Read
the Manual(tm) for further info.

Don't forget to take into account that your DVD standalone unit accepts
CD-RWs (I guess most do).

> Bon ce n'est qu'un traumatisme que j'ai gardé du DOS, où l'utilisation
> de DAO (cf. GoldenHawk Inc.) équivalait à refermer le CD
> définitivement.

A CD-RW? Is it even possible to definitively 'close' a CD-RW? If someone
wants to forbid further erasing/writing to a CD-RW, it's cheaper to burn
a CD-R, so I guess you can never lock a CD-RW. Please, correct me if I'm
wrong.

> Mais un cdrw est un cdrw, en principe... non?

Oui.

Happy cd-writing!

Carlos