[Linux-bruxelles] Re: [Activists-ael] Re: Campagne logiciel libre dans l'education

Pettiaux Nicolas nicolas.pettiaux at ael.be
Mar 18 Juin 18:26:20 CEST 2002

Le Mardi 18 Juin 2002 14:08, Herman Bruyninckx a écrit :

> > How to break this loop ... ?
>
> There is only one way: try to convince on of the important players in
> the market to release something for Linux. The rest of them will
> follow, no problem. That's the way that the databases, the
> supercomputers, the servers, the special effects industries, etc. have
> behaved in the last four or five years. Most IT people are followers
> anyway :-)
>
> So, the problem is convincing one of them. Or, in the context of
> education, convincing the Ministery is equally well. In this respect,

This is the way I am exploring now, approaching a Ministery and have them
help distribute info and maybe CD with free software.

I realize a first step would be to help the teacher to use free software on
windows. THis is a way to ease with the transition.

> it would help a lot if the Belgian Free Software companies could work
> out a credible support scheme; without such a ``guaranteed success''
> Education will not be keen on switching to support Free Software any
> time soon...

This is VERY important indeed, and this is the reason I have gathered
information about companies offering support around Debian in Belgium at the
beginning of the year (information that I have not yet put together nor
published !)

I plan to put that online when I can

Nicolas

--
Nicolas Pettiaux
Association électronique libre pour la défense des droits de l'homme dans la