[Linux-bruxelles] Re: Campagne logiciel libre dans l'education

Peter Vandenabeele peter.vandenabeele at mind.be
Mar 18 Juin 12:55:36 CEST 2002

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 11:48:25AM +0200, Herman Bruyninckx wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Pettiaux Nicolas wrote:
>
> [...]
> > Je crois qu'il serait adéquat de faire la même chose chez nous.
>
> Le probleme eternel reste de trouver les canaux appropries pour la
> diffusion d'articles pareils. Il nous faut le support d'une majorite
> des entreprises LL, et elles doivent former une entite qui puisse
> faire le lobbying et la representation officiele chez les autorites...

Well,

A few months ago I offered to the school of my children to give them a
few PC's with Linux and Free Software installed for free (0 $). They did not
want them because the standard edcuational programs (from 2 Dutch suppliers),
did not run on them, so they deemed the PC's with Linux to be valueless :-(

In Holland there is a grand meeting on this subject (Linux and Free SW in
education) around this time and I told them to make sure that they get
in contact with the major suppliers of educational SW to bring out versions
for Linux.

As always, it are the applications (educational packaes, games, ...) that drive
the market. And there, you have a closed circle: application vendors don't bring
out for other platforms, the platform is not sold because of no applications,
etc. Also for the application builders, it is actually easier if there are
less platforms (less different versions to build, test, maintain), so they
really have no heavy drive to start supporting yet another platform.

How to break this loop ... ?

Sincerely,

Peter

Peter Vandenabeele, CEO                      email:  peter at mind.be
Mind Linux Solutions     (http://mind.be)    tel:  +32-16-30.96.66
Vaartkom 11                                  fax:  +32-16-30.96.44
B-3000 Leuven, Belgium                       gsm: +32-478-27.40.69

*** Mind is looking for Embedded Linux Developers, see mind.be ***