[Linux-bruxelles] New specific mailing list (was: Belgium government wants MS for everyone)

juris at belgacom.net juris at belgacom.net
Lun 14 Jan 15:23:09 CET 2002

Hi,

I think all points raised in Nicolas' mail are very good, in particular when he summarises the Onkelinx' plan as connecting and educating as many people as possible.

We should start from there. How can free software and the free sofware community (LUG, etc.) help to close the digital divide, because that's what she is after. It's not to give computer to everybody and that's it.

I believe services will be the key to a successful bridging of digital divide whatever software or hardware is used. Those people need essentially a helping network, both online and offline. I believe this is one the strenght of the free software community and it could be developed to reach the people to whom this initiative is directed.

Such a network may also be used for futur governmental initiatives relating to e-government. It would be a very bad idea to be tied up to a proprietary system in this regard.

We need to think at a complete solution, hardware, software and services, that will make a success of this initiative.

I bet she will also be very sensible to the employment issues. It would be interesting to have belgian companies developping free software solution to show her the employment potential of free software.

Cheers,

Daniel