[Linux-bruxelles] OT: lu dans Inside Internet d'octobre 2001

Xavier Bayet xavier.bayet at tiscalinet.be
Lun 22 Oct 14:12:45 CEST 2001

Jean-Charles de Longueville wrote:

> "... Si le monde de l'automobile fonctionnait comme l'industrie
> informatique, la rentabilité exigerait que chaque voiture n'accepte
> d'ouvrir ses portières que sur présentation du permis de conduire. C'est
> up peu ce que nous allons faire avec les logiciels XP."
> --  Bruno Segers, General Manager de Microsoft Belux in "Microsoft
> Belux: Les PME font de la résistance", Inside Internet, Octobre 2001.

sans vouloir être méchant, GM (General Motors) avait déjà répondu à une
telle histérie ...
je traduis pas :o)

* What would happen if Microsoft decided to make cars?

At a recent computer expo, Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer
industry with the auto industry and said, "If GM had kept up with the
technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25
cars that got 1000 miles to the gallon."

stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be
driving cars with the following characteristics:

(1) For no reason whatsoever your car would crash twice a day.

(2) Every time they repainted the lines on the road you would have to
buy a new car.

(3) Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason, and
you would just accept this, restart it, and drive on.

(4) Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause
your carto shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have
to reinstallthe engine.

(5) Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought
"Car95" or(CarNT) but still you would have to pay extra to buy more seats.

(6) Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, reliable,
fivetimes as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would only run on 5%
of theroads.

(7) The oil, water, temperature and alternator warning lights would be
replacedby a single "general car fault" warning light.

(8) New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.

(9) The airbag system would say, "Are you Sure?" before going off.

(10) Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out
andrefuse to let you in until you simultaneously lift the door handle,
turn thekey, and grab hold of the radio antenna.

(11) Every time GM introduced a new model car, buyers would have to
learn howto drive all over again because none of the controls would
operate in the samemanner as the old car.

(12) You would have to press the "start" button to shut off the engine."
*